We use our phones for everything – reading the news, checking the weather, following recipes, listening to music – the list goes on and on. Using it for everything means taking it everywhere and picking up all the germs on every surface along the way. It’s become the third hand that never gets washed. Consequently, the average smartphone is about 18x dirtier than a public restroom. If this surprises you, then you should realize that your phone is basically a Petri dish in your pocket. We store our phones in dark, warm places like our pockets and purses and they become a breeding ground for bacteria, especially if we’re not cleaning it as often as say…our hands?
Take the gym for example. In a study where 27 different pieces of equipment across 3 different gyms were tested, over 70% of the bacteria found were potentially harmful to humans. Most people use their phones when they work out, for entertainment or to track progress. As soon as we’re done working out, we usually shower or at least wash our hands…but we don’t do the same to our phone, which we’ve been touching the whole time.
There’s a common misconception that a quick once-over with an alcohol or cleaning wipe will ‘clean’ your phone, but nothing could be further than the truth. In order for the alcohol wipe to do anything, you’d have to use it for about 10 minutes, and even then it doesn’t kill everything. Additionally, harsh chemicals found in alcohol and cleaning liquids can damage your phone screen by breaking down the oleophobic coating. This is where PhoneSoap comes in.
PhoneSoap makes devices that kill all the germs and bacteria on your electronics using UV-C light. This UV-C light effectively destroys nucleic acids and breaks apart bacteria DNA. With their DNA broken, bacteria can’t function or reproduce, and the organisms die. PhoneSoap is proven to kill 99.99% of all bacteria, reaching all the cracks and crevices in your phone. It even kills the MRSA virus – a powerful strand of the staph infection that has become immune to antibiotics. Additionally, there is a USB port in the back of the device that will allow you to charge your phone or tablet.
Below you’ll see the results of a phone tested before and after using the PhoneSoap 3.0.
Visit PhoneSoap.com for more information and to purchase a sanitizer for 30% off using the code ‘GERMS’.
Found this enlightening article in Prevention Magazine online written by Alyssa Shaffer. It adds a few more places that I have to worry about germs.
1. Kitchen Faucet
That metal aeration screen at the end of the faucet is a total germ magnet.
Running water keeps the screen moist, an ideal condition for bacteria growth. Because tap water is far from sterile, if you accidentally touch the screen with dirty fingers or food, bacteria can grow on the faucet, explains microbiologist Kelly Reynolds, PhD, an associate professor of community environment and policy at the University of Arizona College of Public Health. Over time, bacteria build up and form a wall of pathogens called biofilm that sticks to the screen. “Eventually, that biofilm may even be big enough to break off and get onto your food or dishes,” she notes.
Keep It Clean: Once a week, remove the screen and soak it in a diluted bleach solution–follow the directions on the label. Replace the screen, and let the water run a few minutes before using.
One out of every six cell phones is contaminated with germs from human feces, a recent British study found.
Read the whole story at colekcolek.com where it states:
Fecal bacteria can survive on hands for hours at a time, especially in warm temperature away from sunlight. Germs were easily transferred by touch on the doorknob, food, and even cell phones. Germs can then move on to someone else.
Every year, children under age five died by pneumonia and diarrheal diseases, which can actually be prevented by the simple act of washing hands with soap.
In developed countries, wash hands with soap helps people to prevent the spread of viral infections, such as norovirus, rotavirus, and influenza
Not Medical Advice
Everything in this blog is for entertainment and information only. It is NOT medical advice. Do not consider anything as medical advice and check with your physician before you take any action from any of our posts.
I'm not in medicine. I'm just a mild germaphobe sharing information that I find.